It’s the most wonderful time of the year…and the most stressful. Here are my top 9 tips for surviving the holidays!
- Swap your jeans for leggings. Make sure there’s some good stretch in the waistband. You won’t even notice them getting tighter, so you’ll enjoy all the food and eggnog more. Diets are for New Year’s, not now. Throw on a cute oversized sweatshirt. Added bonus if it has pockets to hide extra crescent rolls.
- Keep gifting simple. Like stupid simple. Everyone loves a gift card, and there’s one for almost anything (even an Avon certificate…wink wink.) People would rather get a gift card than a Cherry Blossom bundle from Bath & Body Works that makes them cringe every time they smell it. Be considerate — gift card it up!
- Say no. Don’t commit to more than you can handle. If someone asks if you can make all the desserts, politely decline or get someone to help you. If you get anxiety from planning and hosting Christmas dinner, don’t do it. Your sanity comes first. You deserve to preserve your mental heath. Say no, delegate, ask for help, do what ya gotta do but don’t stretch yourself.
- Delegate. Pot lucks are fun. If you are gonna host, have everyone bring a dish to share. Save yourself the headache of cooking EVERYTHING and cleaning up EVERYTHING.
- Keep your routine. The holidays don’t have to be utter chaos. Sticking to your daily routine can help keep your stress at a minimum. Plus, if you have kids and you’re at someone else’s house, use their bedtime routine as an excuse to leave. Nobody’s gonna argue with that. I use my kids as an excuse for tons of things. #noshameinmygame
- Hide the wine. Did you know you could fit an entire bottle of wine in a large Taco Bell cup? If anyone asks, you grabbed TB for lunch. Aunt Susan says she can smell wine? Tell her it’s your secret ingredient in the marinade. You could even spike your coffee…or the punch bowl of eggnog…keep the family gathering interesting.
- Practice gratitude. The holidays can be a stressful time, financially, mentally, emotionally, physically. Make sure you spend some time reflecting on your blessings and being grateful for what you have. A warm home? Food to eat? People to share it with? So many people don’t even have that. Gratitude is what this time of year is all about.
- Fake it ‘til you make it. Does your face give away your pure exhaustion and the fact that you’re on the brink of a meltdown? Grab ya some Depuffing Serum (link at the end) for those eye bags. The ceramic tip on this one is cool to the touch, which is just an added bonus because this formula was rated #1 in Marie Claire magazine’s top 25 products that will change your life! Makeup is also great for covering up lack of sleep, high stress, and disdain for big groups of people in your personal space. I can’t help mask your RBF though…maybe a bigger glass of wine?
- If all else fails… Tell everyone you’re going out of town for the rest of the year. But really just stay home and binge-watch Disney+ in your sweats.
If you enjoyed these 9 tips for surviving the holidays, give this a thumbs up & subscribe to be updated when another post is up!